We all know there are many home uses for baking soda in place of the harsh chemicals that most cleaners contain. It does not stop indoors! As we prepare and maintain our gardens I have a few great tips that will help protect the earth, your body, and improve the taste of your harvest! Baking Soda… So easy, affordable, and a very mindful way to help your garden grow.
- Great weed killer/preventer. Sprinkle full strength baking soda onto cracks in patio and walkway. Any small weeds will be killed and it will also prevent new weeds from growing.
- Can test the PH of your soil. Wet a small area of your soil and a sprinkle 1 tsp of baking soda on soil. If it bubbles, your soil is acidic!
- Sweetens your tomatoes. If your soil is acidic sprinkle a 1/4 cup baking soda around the plant as soon as it reaches about 1 inch in diameter. Repeat this when the plant has reached 1/2 its growth. This is known to help reduce the acidity of the soil which in turn helps sweeten the flavor.
- Works great as a natural fungicide. Mix 1 gallon of water and about 4 tsp of baking soda. You can use this on vines and grapes when the fruit first begins to appear and it is great to help treat blackspot fungus on roses.
- Kill Crabgrass. Wet the crab grass and pour a heavy dusting of baking soda on it. It takes a couple days but the crabgrass will dieback.
- Discourage pests in the garden. Sprinkle baking soda on the soil in your garden (avoid getting it directly on the plants). Rabbits, ants, silver fish and roaches will stay away. Kill slugs by putting it right on the slug.
- Wash your garden hands. Scrub the garden grime away with a little baking soda and your hands will magically return to a near normal state.
- Kid & Pet Friendly. Your kids can help without a worry. Our kids need to be outdoors and bringing them into the garden to help is a great way to let them get their hands dirty and keep their minds active.
Here is a link to a book on amazon that gives you over 500 uses for baking soda!
Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You’ve Probably Never Thought Of
Enjoy your garden friends!