CHIA SEEDS… A SUPERFOOD YOU MUST TRY! RECIPE INCLUDEDRead More...
My Grandma Jane was undoubtedly one of the most influential people in my life.
She introduced me to lentils at a young age. My Grandmother used to make them on her wood stove and to this day the smell of lentils and butter take me back to some really great memories. As a child my favorite part of the lentil stew was the generous lump of butter she put on the top. Fast forward 30 plus years and I appreciate them more than ever – even without the butter!
Here are some of the reasons why I LOVE Lentils.
- The memory of my Grandmother.
- They are affordable. The cost difference between a lentil curry dish and a chicken curry dish is night and day. A 16oz bag of lentils costs on average $2 – $3. I found this deal on amazon that is amazing…. You have to be committed to lentils as it comes with 24, 16oz bags but the cost ends up being only $1.58 per bag. Click here to check out the deal! If you follow the recipe below your entire meal will cost you less than $5.00 and it will last you several days.
- They are low in calories but packed with nutrition. More bang for your buck! One cup of cooked lentils contains about 230 calories, leaves you feeling full and satisfied and they fuel your body with protein, fiber, iron, folate, and magnesium.
- They are a great protein source. Of all legumes and nuts, lentils contain the third-highest levels of protein making them a great source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. 26 percent of lentil’s calories are attributed to protein.
- Digestive Health! Lentils have insoluble dietary fiber- this can help prevent constipation and other digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis. Soluble fiber also traps carbohydrates, slowing down digestion and helps stabilize blood sugar levels. This can be especially helpful for those with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia. FIBER…. This was one thing that my Grandma always encouraged. She ate Bran Buds every morning and more often than not had a pot of lentils on her stovetop. I remember taking a trip to Honduras with her when she was in her 80’s and she shared her secrets for good health…. Fiber and walks to the mailbox everyday! Try eating lentils for a few days and see what happens to your digestive health.
- Easy, fast, and versatile… This is important- Lentils are so easy to prepare and cook quickly. On average only 20-30 minutes. This make them a winner in our household. Lentils absorb flavor and can be used in so many different ways. They are good cold or hot and can be flavored for nearly every cuisine.
- They are not meat! If you are a meat lover it’s good to take a break.. Our bodies can benefit from this. Check out this article – maybe it will inspire you to try something new!
Here is a link for more information about lentils and why they are so great!
I usually make a large pot of them (16oz bag makes enough for several meals) with curry spices (recipe below). My favorite way to enjoy them is over a big bowl of steamed broccoli or as a salad topper. My husband loves them as burritos with a little plain yogurt and cheese on a tortilla or lettuce leaf. My girls like them over rice or in a bowl with a nice dollop of butter on top.
Bring your lunch to work idea. Steam a large bowl of broccoli in the am, place in glass meal prep containers with a cup of prepared lentils over the top. 1/4 Sliced avocado with a little splash of Braggs and your set! I enjoy this cold and or heated up. The recipe below will last all week long if your using it for your lunches. Imagine spending only $5.00 a week on your lunches!
Watch my YouTube video for step by step instructions.
Cheers to Lentils… They are good for us!
FROZEN POPS THAT WILL SATISFY YOUR SWEET TOOTH AND KEEP YOUR FAMILY COOL THIS SUMMER!Read More...
Crepes are such a great meal for the entire family. The traditional crepe has refined flour, butter, salt, & sugar added to the mix. I’ve been experimenting w/ crepes for years. Growing up, my Stepmother made the BEST crepes. I LOVE her recipe but have wanted to find a healthier version as my daughters and husband have them nearly every morning.
I’ve found the easiest, healthiest, and best tasting recipe. With only three ingredients I can make it in a hurry. The recipe contains MILK, EGGS, & OATMEAL (blended). Thanks it! They are super fast, high protein, tasty, and loved by all of us! The trick is what you put in them… I’m not going to lie, my kids LOVE something sweet in them. We have detoxed from Nutella and syrups in the house, and are now enjoying fruit and honey on them.
The trick with these is to eat them fresh – The moment they hit the plate is best! I love avocado with a little honey on them (my girls think I’m crazy). You can add things like cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa nibs, stevia, or naked peanut butter to the mix before you blend them to add a little flavor.
For dinner they are a great alternative to flour tortillas. You can add a little cumin spice or garlic powder to the mix or fill with avocado and roasted veggies or diced chicken w/ curry spices. Try making your kids a crepe quesadilla.
Crepes – They are something different and so good!
1 Cup Milk (any kind)
1 Cup Oats
a little oil (I prefer coconut oil)
Thats it- GET YOUR CREPE ON!
MY FAVORITE PROTEIN SMOOTHIE… OH SO GOOD!Read More...